There are times when you will probably want to change a live survey in your system: branding changes, wording changes, question changes, etc.
Changes are small when they consist of a word here or there or a small text change in once place and do not require review or approval from other parties in your organisation.
These can be done on the live invite/reminder/survey in Delivery Manager but take care as any changes saved will be live to your customers.
Large changes include anything that must be reviewed and approved by someone else or where changes are required in several places at once. A good example is a re-branding where the logo on invites and reminders and surveys need to be updated at the same time.
For this type of change you should build and test a new campaign using the process below. A standard way of doing this is to copy an existing survey.
1. Request your Customer Success contact to copy the survey you want to change and name it appropriately.
Note that this allows you to keep the data from Additional Questions flowing to the same place as the old survey data: the mapping stays the same. This keeps all your reporting working in the same way.
However if you want to use a different additional question, make sure to remove the existing (copied) question first and add a new one. Otherwise the answers to the two different questions will be saved under the existing question which causes reporting issues.
2. Open Delivery Manager and create a "New Campaign"
3. Add a new set of invite/reminder emails.
It is very important to Add a new set of invites/reminders.
Do not edit the "default" or the invites with the same name as the live campaign. This will change the live survey invite/reminders. Instead make sure you first "Add" a new invite/reminder set. Then you can go ahead and edit them.
Remember you should not be editing the same named invites as shows in your Active Campaign.
Now go ahead and make any wording, branding and logo changes to the Invites and reminders that you like.
It is generally better to start new with the CustomerGauge templates provided and change them than copy from the existing invites/reminders.
4. Create a New Unsubscribe page
Unless you want to reuse the existing Unsubscribe page, click on 'Add'. Do not select an existing unsubscribe option from the dropdown menu as you will overwrite an existing unsubscribe page.
You will see an option at the top of the page to 'Add a Widget' Select: Logo, HTML text and Footer from the dropdown options. Update logos and text as needed.
Always use the "Logo" widget to add logos to each page. If you use any other options it may result in the new logo being loaded to other live surveys.
To use the Logo widget you need to obtain the URL of the logo image. Use the Image upload feature of the email editor to load the image and copy the link required. Then paste into the Logo Widget "Logo" area.
5. Survey: Select the copy of the survey that was created for you
Edit the survey and make any changes needed.
Again only use the Logo widget to make changes in that area.
5a. Survey questions
If your survey has questions other than NPS, NPS comment, CES or CSAT questions such as additional rating questions or additional comments etc you need to delete these from the survey and add them as fresh.
6. Add the Filter attributes
To update these click on the 'Add' button that is situated to the right of the campaign name. If filters have already been added, 'Add' will appear as 'Edit'. These details will typically be the same as the Campaign you have copied. NB: when you enter the Filter details, make sure you hit 'enter' on your keyboard to ensure the filter details are saved (appear in and orange button underneath the filter box).
7. Test invite email and surveys in Draft status
Now you should be able to use all of the preview functions to test the invite/reminder and surveys.
7a. Live Testing
Note that if you want to run a full closed loop test of your campaign you will need to "Activate" the Campaign and load a data file. Here are the recommendations for this process.
1. Update your Filter attributes to add a filter that restricts sending to your test data. For instance, we typically use a segment with lots of values, e.g. Company name, and add a Filter attribute such as Company is "zTesting". This ensures that the test value ends up at the bottom of all selection lists.
2. Activate your campaign and ensure that it is above the existing Campaign. The added filter you have just put in will prevent it sending to live customers.
3. Create a test data file that includes only the minimum data that you need to send the test, including of course the segment with "zTesting" value. Include only the mandatory and filter columns so you don't add spurious data to your system. If you don't normally load data manually you can obtain a template download file from the Manual Loading page.
We normally recommend you use Gmail addresses when testing like this as it defeats the CustomerGauge duplicate check. See this article for more details.
4. Load your test file and get approval, as noted below.
5. Delete your test data using the API.
6. When you are ready to go live you just need to remove the test attribute filter - that is the one with "zTesting" or similar and your campaign will immediately be live.
8. Get Approval
Now is the time to get approval for your invite/reminder/survey set if you don't need a live test.
9. "Activate" the campaign.
This will make the campaign live. It will be placed at the bottom of the priority list, below your existing campaign. If your filter variables are the same no-one will receive your new campaign yet.
10. Set the new campaign live.
Drag the new campaign above the old campaign in the priority list. Doing this will mean it processes first and the old campaign will no longer be used.
If at anytime you want to revert to the old campaign you just have to deactivate the new campaign or drag the old campaign above the new campaign in the priority list.
11. Deactivate the old campaign.
When you confirm the new campaign is working correctly you can deactivate the old campaign and it will drop to the bottom of the page.