If you ever found yourself combining data from different systems into one file to upload to send out surveys, you may rejoice. CustomerGauge now comes with a new option to upload Survey records into CustomerGauge, relying on Accounts and Contacts you have already uploaded. This means no more juggling data to create a single cohesive file - and as a result, makes it easier to pass our pesky validation rules.
Click "Surveys [BETA]" for the new option, or "Surveys" for the old and trusted "Transactional data" upload.
How does it work?
- Segment data gets copied over from matching Accounts and Contacts to create a snapshot in time on the survey record.
- Survey Records need to have a matching Contact existing in CustomerGauge. The Contact is found through the Contact Reference field.
- Survey Records need to have a matching Account, if an Account is provided.
Preparing to upload
Please make sure you have a file with your data, and that it meets these requirements:
- The file is less than 15MB in size;
- The file contains 5,000 rows or less (you can split your files following this support article - make sure to save the split files as CSV);
- The file is CSV, with a "comma" or "semicolon" as CSV Delimiter;
- The file has a CSV header row.
Note: if your CSV file is following the RFC 4180 industry standard, you should be good to go.
Once you have verified that your file meets the above requirements, you're ready to continue.
In order to upload data, an Import Configuration has to be created. That might sound daunting, but don't worry - it's easy, and you only have to do this once!
You can create an Import Configuration beforehand, or as part of the upload process.
How to do an upload?
- Press the Upload button at the top-right corner, and click on the "Surveys [BETA]" card.
- Now you can choose which Import Configuration you'd like to use. Since this is probably your first time, you can create a New Configuration. To do so, choose "+ New Configuration" from the drop-down.
- Once you're in the next screen, follow these steps:
- Configuration Details ➡ Configuration Name: Give your Configuration a name that you, or your colleagues can recognize it so that it can be used again in the future. We recommend naming it after the system where you got your data from, e.g. "Salesforce Accounts Export".
- File Settings ➡ CSV Delimiter: Choose the CSV Delimiter that is used in your CSV file. We currently support "comma" and "semicolon".
- File Mapping: Use the drop-down to add all the fields you'd like to import from your file. You don't need to add fields for data you don't want to import.
In each row, make sure you fill in the "File Heading" field with the value of the column header in your CSV file.
Please note: the Fields that are available in the drop-down are controlled by Global Administrators using System Settings ➡ Field Settings. Work together with your System Admin to make sure you get the fields you need.
- When you're ready, hit the Save button - this will take you back to the upload process.
- Take a moment to review the Import Configuration you've created - are all the fields you'd like to import represented and mapped correctly?
If it's not correct, you'll need to Edit the Import Configuration. To do so, head to the Imports Screen in a new browser tab. Click on the Configurations button in the top-right corner, and then Edit the Import Configuration you just created.
- If all is good, press the Next button. You'll now go to the step where you can upload your file.
- Drag your file into the designated area (or click the "Choose File" button). Once you've done so, we'll have a quick look at your file to make sure it meets our requirements. Press the next button once it becomes available.
If anything is wrong with your file, we'll tell you. Simply make the amendments needed and try uploading your file again.
- You should now be in the Confirmation step. On each row you'll see each of the fields that you've configured to be imported:
- CustomerGauge Field: This column lists the fields in your CustomerGauge platform that you're about to import data into.
- CSV Header: This column shows you the header of the CSV column that is mapped to the CustomerGauge Field on the same row.
- Row 1, Row2, and Row3: These three columns show you a sample of your file. This helps identify if your data is all mapped up correctly.
- Take a moment to look at how your file will be interpreted. If all looks as you would expect, you can click the Upload button - this will start the import process.
If anything does not seem right, make sure you've uploaded the correct file, are using the correct Import Configuration, and edit your Import Configuration accordingly. In case of a misconfiguration, you'll usually notice that the values are empty for a particular field.
- You're all done! You can now visit the Imports page to track the progress.
Once the import process is finished, if there have been any failures, you can click on the number of Failed records. This will list all the validations that have not been met. More on this in the Diagnosing Upload Failures below.
What are Import Configurations?
Import Configurations are sets of rules that will be applied on a certain import process. Traditionally you would have to map your file every time you do an upload - with Import Configurations you only have to do so once per type of file. This is really helpful to cover all the various systems you're exporting data from - or for larger organizations where data tends to vary a lot between business units. You can read more about Import Configurations here.
Diagnosing Upload Failures
Did something not go as planned? Check out our most up-to-date Diagnosing Upload Failures guide!